Saturday, July 16, 2011

Daily Walk


Taking a walk is no longer the lovely, romantic pastime of yesteryear. Kids bring a whole new dimension [and timetable] to this seemingly simple activity.--Wake up. Smell work out clothes...good, not 'too' odiferous, don't have to hunt for new ones. Get Ari dressed, "No Ari, don't run off with your poopy diaper...and stay away from the toilet paper roll, I mean it!" Feed Ari [sing at LEAST 10 songs to keep her from spitting out/throwing food, but the second I slack off...arrrggg...blueberry oatmeal mush on my pants, "Great, new work out clothes here I come..."], while feeding myself WHILE nursing Rhett. Take that "America's Got Talent!" Hose her off then let her down so I can wipe up under her booster, only to realize too late that the gate to the kitchen is open, so she breakfasts a second time--on crackers & tidbits off the floor. And then she STILL has time to rummage through the garbage can before I turn around. Administer hand sanitizer to hands & silently wish I could do the same to her mouth. Next, shoes for two then hunt for the socks Ari has taken off Rhett's feet--again. Undress baby down to diaper so his sweating is kept to a minimum. Change Rhett's diaper, let Ari throw it away under careful supervision (she cherishes this job). Round 2 for hand sanitizer. Time for Rhett to go in the Moby Baby Wrap while Ari is screaming, "ba-bye?! ba-BYE!!" increasing in decibels with each request/demand. Mom water bottle: check. Ari water: check. Keys: Check. Buckle the screaming child in so we can go bond in the 90 degree weather, with 100% humidity (why do kids this age not realize that hot/humidity decreases the 'fun' factor when experiencing the great outdoors?). Check on the other child against my chest. Ahh, snoozing peacefully....reminisce back to when Ari was like that & wonder at the fact that with the delightful chaos surrounding me I am still minus two children...bittersweet at this moment. Mom is sweating like a pig already. Who needs to leave the house to get a work out?

5 comments:

Heather said...

i am so with you on this. Isn't it so crazy getting kids and mom out of the house?

Even for errands... it takes 30 minutes to get ready to run a 10 minute errand. sigh...

I just wish all the hard work getting everyone ready would help me lose some weight! :)

keep a goin'!

Chantal said...

Jenna, I can relate and Dad and I just laughed out loud reading your well written expose. I was there... you are telling the absolute truth about that darling little Ari baby girl! Wish I was there to help! Love you all!

Brittany said...

Love this post! And I need to email you. I'm in full "no epidural" mode right now. Even though I'm only 18/19 weeks. I am determined!

Unknown said...

Haha Jenna, this is so funny! Spencer and I were laughing so hard reading this. We miss you guys, and can't wait to meet that sweet little baby.

jeffandbecca said...

Love this post because it is so realistic. It is entertaining to read others doing the same things I am doing.